Only a mother who has had to travel with a baby can understand the pain of going through an airport, a flight and a taxi ride in a different city with a baby, luggage and most importantly a heavy stroller which does not fit into the tiny hand-baggage compartment or the trunk of a mini-taxi. This is why some ingenious person – most probably a harassed parent, invented a lightweight stroller. This article tries to answer the modern mother’s question of which might fit the bill as best lightweight stroller for her.
But why buy a lightweight stroller?
- Most of us mothers would have bought a good quality full size or a standard stroller as soon as if not before our baby was born. They are convenient, comfortable and durable. Most even have a car seat built into it. However these are usually heavy and weigh anywhere between 25–30 pounds.
- When you are traveling with a baby you are usually carrying enough luggage for towing things like baby food, water, diapers, etc. It can be a nightmare if you have to carry the baby, the luggage and a heavy, bulky and unwieldy stroller and then have to go through security checks at the airport.
- It is a pain to get in and out of a plane with narrow hallways. You may not have the strength to store a heavy stroller in the overhead compartment. After all this, would you practically have any energy or patience left over to take care of your baby for the rest of the trip?
- This is why many would recommend you to get a lightweight stroller, which weighs 11-15 pounds and helps you a lot when you are traveling with a child. Of course many of these lightweight strollers may not be suitable for children below the age of 6 months, but for children from 6 months to 3-4 years, the lightweight stroller is really a godsend product.You can even use the lightweight stroller for day trip or for shopping trips. Especially as your child gets older and heavier, these lightweight strollers can get more convenient
But how do you decide which is the best lightweight stroller for you?
There are a few things that you need to consider before buying a lightweight stroller.
- Weight: This is the most important factor to be considered when you are selecting a lightweight stroller. Most of these strollers weigh between 11 – 15 pounds which is a comfortable weight range when you have to carry it while walking through an airport or go up some stairs etc. Also check if the stroller has a mechanism which will let you carry it when folded.
- Size: Related to weight, you need a stroller which is wide enough to be comfortable for the baby and tall enough that when you walk with it you are not hitting the wheels or bending over to hold the handles.
- Ease of folding and unfolding: On your trip, you will fold and unfold the stroller multiple times. So select one which is easy to fold and unfold. But at the same time it has to be secure in either position, so check for locking mechanisms too.
- Reclining Positions: Select one which has enough reclining positions so that your child can sit upright while awake and sleep comfortably otherwise.
- Durable:Stroller is one item that you can use for a child from 6 months to 3–4 years, so select a strollerwhose frame and other items are made with strong and durable materials. You also need to check the maximum recommended weight for these strollers so thatyou can buy one that caters to your child’s range of weight.
- Other Features: Storage spaces, harness systems, wheels etc.
- Budget: Most importantly, select one which fits into the budget that you are comfortable with.
Read reviews and expert opinions online. Also consult some of your friends and family who have these products. Also try out a few strollers at the stores before finally buying the right one.
While using the lightweight stroller, remember the following facts:
- Ensure your stroller is fully unfolded even before you bring your child near it. These strollers are designed to fold and collapse easily so unless you have secured it open, it can collapse and hurt you as well as yourchild.
- Always strap your child in. These strollers are designed to get children in and out fast, so unless you secure them in properly, they can fall and hurt themselves.
- Be careful while storing items in and on the stroller. They can tip over if you do not balance the weight.
- And finally do maintain your lightweight stroller by oiling the wheels and other moving parts, cleaning it well once in a while. A well maintained stroller will last for years.
So we are back to the task of choosing the best lightweight stroller for the modern mother who is on the go. Let’s look at four of the top selling lightweight strollers in the market today:
Top 4 Best Lightweight Stroller On The Market
- The Summer Infant 3D Lite Stroller has a super lightweight frame which is made of aluminum and weighs only 12 pounds. It comes with a handy strap and an auto-lock mechanism which lets you sling it onto your back while traveling through an airport.
- It is easy to fold and unfold. When folded, it is small enough to fit into the overhead compartment of an aircraft.
- It has a wide and comfortable seat (12.5inches). The seat back is almost 28 inches high. The 5-point safety harness can be adjusted to fit your child as he grows.
- The seat reclines to 3 positions including deep recline for a nap or for changing diapers.
- This stroller has a weight recommendation of 50 pounds which means you can use it for your toddler as well. It has big storage basket underneath, much larger than other lightweight strollers.
- It also has a pouch at the back and a cup holder. One thing I loved about it was the height of the handles which are 42” above the ground so it could be comfortable for even a 6’4” person to push it around.
- It has 6 inch wheels which need to be individually locked and brakes applied. The sun visor is not very large but for a lightweight stroller is large enough.